What We Do
At End of Life Options New Mexico, we provide support and education for advance care planning to ensure people have a clear understanding of their rights and all the options available to them in New Mexico. We also provide individual client services by trained volunteers to assist patients and their families with end of life challenges.
- Provide resources to assist with advance care planning;
- Provide referrals and resources to support end-of-life decision-making;
- Inform the public, community leaders and the media about end- of-life issues;
- Educate residents about their rights to choose from the full range of end-of-life care options, including medical aid in dying;
- Educate healthcare providers so they can inform their patients about end-of-life options and provide the care their patients want; and
- Assist healthcare systems and hospices as they support their patients’ end-of-life decisions.
End of Life Options
What are your options at end of life?
- Continue Treatment – Pursue life-sustaining treatments
- Forego or Cease Treatment – Declining or stopping life-sustaining treatment
- Palliative Care Specialized care focusing on relief of symptoms and help with treatment decisions
- Hospice Care End-of-life comfort care, mostly in the home, focusing on quality of life and family support
- Voluntarily Stopping Eating and Drinking (VSED) Refusing any food or liquids to hasten death under medical supervision
- Medical Aid in Dying (MAID) Eligible adults requesting a prescription for life-ending medication from a qualified provider
- About the End of Life Options Act – An overview of how it works and what you need to know. Learn more.
- Eligibility – Who is eligible to utilize the End of Life Options Act? Learn more.
- Steps for Using the EOLO Act. A checklist. Learn more.
- About Judge Elizabeth Whitefield. Learn more.
- Aid in Dying Laws. Learn more.
- EOLO Act for Individuals and families. Learn more.
- Frequently Asked Questions for individuals and families. Learn more.
- End of Life Options Act for Providers. Learn more.
- Provider Training. Learn more.
- Frequently Asked Questions for Providers. Learn more.